Saturday, September 21, 2013

French Hoods are like fine wine.....


I've now made two 1540s French hoods, and I'm having an absolute blast.
I must have been a raccoon in a past life, since I think the thing that is really pleasing me is the amount of sparkly bling that goes on these. I adore them
Here are some big shots of the first one.
 The frill (accepted costuming term being crispinette, though I haven't been able to tell from wardrobe accounts that that word really refers to these, so I've been going with "frill" as it is simply descriptive) is wonky on this first one.  It's not supposed to ruffle, and the pleats are supposed to be much tighter together.
 I think the ruffle effect is very pretty, actually, but as it isn't in any of the portraits, it's something I need to work on.





And here is the frillistically improved hood #2

As I said on a FB post, I am moved by how different these can look with only a few changes. I feel like describing them in wine tasting terminology:
While the top hood comes across as shy and feminine, with flirtatious undertones the red one is sophisticated and elegant, with distinct notes of orderly self assurance.
See - That's how I think the frill should look. As soon as I steam it to set the folds, I can pull out that basting thread. I sure love the way that metallic silk organza looks and handles. And after a remarkably restrained trip to the Orange Bag Store in Toronto, I now have it in FIVE colors!! (Gold, lighter gold, blacker gold, redder gold, and, weirdly, purple/blue gold - which is on the bottom in the picture.)
See?

(sorry - above shot is fuzzy)

I really like the lower billiment beads on this one.

And that's it for now - they are swimming right along. The next one is almost ready for its close-up.
It's a black satin paste on a white cap, and I haven't decided on the upper billiment yet. 
I can't wait to see what I think it tastes like.

No comments:

Post a Comment